Saturday, January 20, 2007

16: Tora Tora....Gimme Mora Mora

Spare rib? I wish.
As some of you may know, I've been dealing with a sore rib for about six months (since July of 06). The onset was idiopathic and I couldn't think of anything overt that I did to cause such pain. As far as I knew, it just came on out of the blue. Around the time it started, the only thing I could think of is that I jarred my ribs while surfing bare-back in late June or early July. I also moved an extremely heavy table by myself right around the same time, but instead of sprouting a few hemmorhoids, perhaps my rib took the brunt of the strain. I really took note of the discomfort one day at the gym. I was pressing a pair of 75-lb dumbbells which, for me, was a good chunk of weight. As I lowered the weights and expanded my ribcage, I could feel a clicking sensation in my ribs. I immediately stopped and called it a day. Something was definitely very wrong and I didn't want to make it worse.

Modern medicine? No thanks. I'll take the medieval blood letting instead.
At first, I thought it was a run of the mill case of costochondritis, so I went to the doc in San Diego, he agreed and gave me a script for some anti-inflammatory meds. I was just happy it was nothing systemic or, God-forbid, a tumor. The most agonizing thing about this pain is that it was located along the costal margin (rib line) smack dab at the very point where my ribs touch my board in the prone paddling position. I sat out many surf sessions when the waves were perfect simply to give it a fair chance to heal. But even after three months the pain was absolutely the same as , I started to wonder if I really had costochondritis at all. Any surf sessions I had were far and few between and always uncomfortable. Simple things like rolling over in bed or twisting in my car to reach for the seatbelt led to a razor sharp stabbing pain.

Pain, no gain.
My rib was still throbbing when I got to New Zealand. Bob and I did a surf trip over to Tora around a week or so after my arrival. I surfed several times but basically just tolerated the pain in order to get out and feed my surfing addiction, not to mention the surf was world class on those days. I don't think this session helped, but all considered, the pain didn't really get much worse after those sessions.

New Zealand, New Doctor
I decided to consult yet another doctor here in New Zealand to reassess my rib and see if they knew anything else my GP in the states didn't. Broken record. Same conclusion. Costochondritis. Gave me a prescription--ok, thanks for nothing.

Slipping Rib Syndrome
But I wasn't satisfied with that. I knew there was something else going on. If it were truly costochondritis, then it would have improved by the six month mark, even a little bit. I got on the Medline database and started searching in detail for every ortho issue related to the ribs. I eventually came across a condition known as "Slipping Rib Syndrome." What is it? Reader's Digest version: Any jolt to the ribs via contact sports or accident can knock the cartilage loose which encases the 8th, 9th, and 10th ribs. Because these ribs are not anchored to the sternum, their support is provided by the costal cartilage. The feeling of SRS is a "clicking sensation", sharp and/or diffuse residual pain along the costal margin, and can be felt by hooking the fingers under the rib line. Well, that described me to the letter.

SRS is similar to costochondritis, but an incorrect diagnosis nonetheless. The more I investigated this topic, I learned that it is VERY commonly misdiagnosed or missed altogether by most doctors. The pain is very real but is somethng that, if unresolved, surgery is the only option. Since the stumping of the previous two doctors, I have since made arrangements with one of the New Zealand Olympic Team sports med doctors. I meet with her on February 9th for a proper evaluation.

Let nature take care of itself
On a positive note, since making the appointment with the sports med doctor, my rib has very mildly improved. Considering I hadn't surfed in two months, a record second only to my knee blow out in 2004, I was ready to get back in the water. Bob and I evaluated the swell prediction based on a few satellite images of a south swell passing under New Zealand. Sure enough, mother nature was doing her dance and kicking up a ridable wave at Tora Tora.

Wairarapa Bound!
Bob, Mom Cheema, and I loaded up my stationwagon (affectionately dubbed Forrest Gump) with our boards, gear, food, etc and ventured out to the Wairarapas for an afternoon surf session. We putted out of Paekakariki at around 9:30 or so and through the wide open countryside, eventually arriving at Tora Reserve just around noon or so. We'd stopped along the way a couple times to snap a picture or two, but mostly enjoyed smooth sailing.

Much to our surprise, there were quite a few guys out surfing already. It didn't really look all that good at first, so we went around the north side of the reserve hoping to catch a few isolated waves. No luck. Nothing. We went back to the Tora main break and suited up to join the crowd.

Fun waves at Tora Reserve. (more at nzphotoblogue)
As I walked out over the rocks and up to waist-deep water, I prayed the rib would not give me any grief. The moment my ribs touched the board, I can honestly say it felt pretty good. The pain was still there, but nothing near as intense as what I'd been previously tolerated. Bob and I proceeded to have a great time catching some fun waves with a rather mellow crew of guys.

Reunion
It was a bit of a reunion of sorts. We ran into an Aussie guy that we met at Tora our last time there. He recognized us right away so we had a bit of a chat and caught up on what'd transpired since our last meeting.


Small world....again
Shortly thereafter, I met another Aussie guy from my other adopted home of Margaret River, Western Australia. We got to chatting so I mentioned the names of some friends of mine in that area. And what do you know, we had some mutual friends in common! I was asking him how Glenn was doing, if he was still ripping up Boat Ramps (surf spot name) when it was big. And Frank, and Alfy, Nathan, etc. It was a reunion of sorts, but more so a nice reminder of how small my world has become from my world travels. It's like everywhere I go I meet people I either know or they're a mutual friend of those I know.

Out there
After a couple surf sessions, we decided to call it a day and head back to "civilization." The Wairarapa region is apparently one of the most remote and isolated spots in all of New Zealand. Let's just say there's no cell phone reception, so if you had an accident or got hit by a shark, good luck calling for an ambulance. Perhaps a satellite phone might work, but who knows how expensive they are?

Alive again
I'm back at home now (obviously) and feeling so satisfied. My rib held up rather well and it gives me hope for getting back out and on the board. I was starting to grow surf-deprived/depressed. I get a little weird when I'm out of the ocean for too long. The salt water has a special way of breathing life back into me! Ah yes, alive again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,

glad to hear you're doing ok in NZ and that the rib's is at least causing you less pain. At least you have diagnosed it, which is huge. I had an undiagnosed cracked rib for 4 months (well, diagnosed by me and years after diagnosed by some random X-ray) and surfing with rib problems really is impossible. Well, I guess one could ride a big log and knee paddle it (your cup of tea, I am sure).

Aloha
Henri

Anonymous said...

I have the exact same thing going on with my rib. I JUST WANNA SURF! Hopefully I am healed by Costa in December. /sigh...