Thursday, December 28, 2006

12. Six Degrees of Unification


IT’S ALL IN HOW YOU LOOK AT IT
Life is all a matter of perspective. How you look at things, well, that’s your only reality. In my case, I ‘could’ look at the previous five days of blustery cold, wind, and rain and let it ruin my mood. Or I can just carry my own brand of sunshine on the inside and focus on how wonderfully clean the air is and how the rain has thoroughly washed away all the dust and grime five times over. New Zealand is, after all, clean and green for a reason.

I thought I would take advantage of the lovely ‘summer’ weather and reflect upon the convoluted turn of events leading up to this point. Before leaving San Diego for New Zealand, I hustled a bit and made some contacts on the ground here in Wellington. I put myself in touch with a manager at the City Fitness health chain, not so much to beg for a job, but more so just to feel things out and get a pulse on the fitness industry in this region. I did have a productive hour-long meeting with him and did manage to arrange for me to come in and do some lectures for his trainers.

ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL
For those of you that know me well, you know that wherever I go, I have a way of just diving right into the thick of things and saying hello to everyone—much like a politician on the campaign trail, except without the kissing babies part. Hello translates to introductions, introductions translate to conversation, and conversation translates to limitless possibilities. In my previous solo world travels, no matter where I went or which country I found myself, I always went out of my way to offer a simple hello and a handshake. In fact, many of the friendships I developed back in those days still endure up to the point of this writing.

SIX DEGREES OF UNIFICATION
My second week in New Zealand was no different. I decided to make a cameo appearance at Latinos, the local Wellington salsa club, just to check out the scene and see who I might meet. A minute or two after I arrived, I struck up a conversation with Miguel and his wife. He turned out to be Brazilian so we rapped a bit in Portuguese and a little in Spanish. He then introduced me to a couple of Chileans and a guy from Argentina. That led to a few more introductions, until I eventually wound up dancing with the alpha female salsa instructor. We had a great dance together and then moved to the side of the dance floor to talk for a bit. She asked me what I did for a living to which I responded, ‘oh, I’m an exercise physiologist.’ She looked at me and said, ‘oh, you’re joking. I’ve gotta introduce you to Brendan, the DJ. He’s an exercise physiologist, too.’

Brendan was busy manning the music, but we were able to speak for a few minutes. He told me he had a physiology lab he was interested in getting off the ground and that he was very interested in meeting with me. We arranged a meeting at his facility where he later informed me he’d been searching for over six months for someone of my qualifications! We hashed out the details of the arrangement and he offered me a contract soon after. I begin on January 8th—not bad for the first night out salsa dancing!

LOOKING FORWARD
This is an ideal situation because the studio is very close to the university where I’ll be running my doctoral research investigation. Once things are under way and moving ahead full-steam, I will likely move either closer to the city or into the city. I love living in this monster house up in Pukerua Bay, but I also know that it’s not practical to be so far away. Just the cost of petrol alone will kill me, while living in the city will be a short bus ride home. I’m all about public transit wherever possible.

For the here and now, in spite of the punishing weather, I am completely happy and focusing on all the wonderful things I have in front of me. I’m hoping to make a quick trip over to Sydney in January to visit some dear friends. I know once I’m busy with the lab and my investigation that it could be snowing and it wouldn’t matter much. Unless, of course, I have to walk through a meter of snow on the beach to go for a surf!

No comments: