Friday, December 22, 2006

9. First Full Day of Summer: Not Like You Could Tell

21 December 2006

Yesterday marked the first full day of summer in the southern hemisphere, although it came and went without much more than a passing glance by most kiwi observers. I woke to a symphonic percussion of rain on our tin roof, this eventually clearing and giving way to partially sunny skies, wind, wind, and more wind.

I did a bit of work from home and then went out for a walk to run some errands and squeeze a little exercise into the schedule. I lasted about one minute and immediately had to return to put one some warm clothes. Air temps were a balmy 13 or 14 degrees (56-58F) and felt even colder with the wind chill factor. I did eventually warm up a bit after stoking the metabolic furnace with a trip down to Pukerua Beach.

I confess, though, the kiwis are a hardy lot. Rain, wind, cold, nothing seems to phase them. There were still plenty of people on the beach, enjoying as if it were a steamy summer afternoon. You could scarcely tell the difference if not for the conspicuous showing of winter garb.

In spite of the cool temperatures, I can say there's still something very appealing about summertime NZ. You don't have the ugly, smoggy summertime pollution inversion layer often seen in some major cities. The rain washes away all the dust and grime while the wind keeps the air fresh and fragrant. I admit, I'm still a bit thin blooded having come from a warm climate, but if I can just get myself mentally back to how I used to be while living in New Jersey, I think I'll be fine. I remember walking across the beach through knee-deep snow just to go for a surf, paddling by floating ice chunks, with air temperatures in the negative God-only-knows with the wind chill. By comparison, I'm living in a tropical island paradise!

Last night, I happened to flick on the tele to have a look at one of our four channels we receive without cable. Lo and behold, we get Fox News here, the official media outlet of the Republican National Party. Aside from the usless partisan conservative tirades, I did find the weather segment quite entertaining, and about the only part I could tell that was impermeable to a right-wing spin by the White House. Besides the blizzard gripping Colorado, I could see that the rest of the country, on the first day of winter, was actually as warm or warmer than our summer weather here in the Wellington region! Looks like El NiƱo's at it again. Gonna spank that little bastard as soon as I get my hands on him!!

No comments: