Thursday, December 14, 2006

5. Don't get mad, write a letter!

Preface
I fancy myself a wizard at the art of writing convincing threat letters to companies.  Never underestimate the power of letter writing and the threat of bad publicity. If you need a powerful letter written on your behalf, I charge a modest fee for my services. Haha!


This episode deals with my handling of a popular car sales rag I used in San Diego before leaving for New Zealand. As far as I knew, the ad didn't even run, or if it did, it ran late. I've changed the names of all parties involved and renamed the offending company screwyousales.com. Read from the bottom up to follow the chonology of events.

Rhonda XYZ escribió:
De: "Rhonda XYZ" rhonda.xyz@screwyousales.com
Para: "El Desconocido" eldesconocido@yahoo.com
Asunto: RE: Screw You Sales Refund Issue
Fecha: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:30:02 -0800

Hey Desconocido it's Rhonda,
I'm going to go ahead and refund your money right away....it will take 7-10 business days to credit back to your account. I'm sorry that our service did not work for you. The selling of vehicles is really slow around this time in Nov and Dec. I hope you do consider to use us in the near future. Thank you.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
-----Original Message-----
From: El Desconocido [mailto:eldesconocdo@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:19 PM
To: Rhonda XYZ
Cc: mailto:Rhonda
Subject: RE: Screw You Sales Refund Issue

Hello Rhonda,
Thank you so much for the courtesy of a reply. Yes, I had a very difficult time receiving any resolve. I recently moved to New Zealand for my doctoral research, where from which I am currently writing you this email (and the reason my phone is disconnected). If you review the records, you'll see that my advertisement was submitted on Monday 6 November (if memory serves me correct). I was under the impression that the ad would run online immediately, yet the print publication would come out Friday. Being that I was in the process of packing my things for my move to New Zealand, I really needed the ad to run immediately. I was extremely disappointed that AFTER I'd paid my fees, it then told me it would run on November 10th. This really didn't help matters much at all.

Even after the ad purportedly came out both in print and online, I received NO calls. Actually, I posted it on Craigslist.org and received more calls than I knew what to do with, and they're free. I left San Diego for New Zealand on 14 November and, as of that date, received not a single call from the screwyousales ad. This led me to believe that the ad did NOT run on the 10th of November as I'd initially thought. I thought that perhaps it'd slipped through the cracks and came out on the 17th or 18th of November instead, AFTER I'd landed in New Zealand.

If I've erred in my judgment, that is fine. That I can live with. However, with all due respect, I found the Screw You Sales customer service woefully lagging and inadequate. I'm not expecting a ticker-tape parade by any means, but I would have liked this matter handled in a more expeditious manner rather than the typical "pass-the-buck" mentality that plagues our society in America.

As a freelance writer, this episode has inspired me to write an article on customer service in America, with screwyousales receiving honorable, yet factual, mention. Craigslist.org receives the A+ for service and value. Please find my article in a major publication on a news stand near you.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
El Desconocido

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Rhonda XYZ escribió:

Hola Se~or Desconocido,
My name is Rhonda, I'm the Lead in the Customer Service Dept. I received your email today forwarded by the webmasters regarding your refund. We tried to contact you by phone but the number listed is not in service. Your ad originally came out on issue #45 which started on Nov. 10th. Your email was sent to use on the 18th..by that time it was on it's 2nd week running in issue #46. Our policy here is once we take or receive your photo which it was done online by you, there are NO REFUNDS. I'm really sorry we did not reply to you earlier our webmasters were on vacation of the week of Thanksgiving. If you have any other concerns or complaints, you can contact my supervisor _______ at 858-123-4567. Thank you.

No comments: