Saturday, December 30, 2006

13. Waikanae Beach: Blue-Bottles and Blo-Karts (more photos on nzphotoblogue)

Aaaaah yes, the blustery weather finally broke and mother nature granted us a half-day reprieve from the monsoonal punishment of late. The high barometric pressure associated with sunny blue skies has a very positive effect on my mood. I actually woke up early this morning and felt amped and excited, ready to take on the world, just itching to get outside and make the most of the day.


I decided to take a drive up north to Waikanae Beach. I'd heard rumors that it was a nice place to get outside and take a walk.....I just had to figure out how to get there first. I set out on my journey armed with a primitive map from the local rag called the Kapiti phone directory. That helped out a bit but it was more my sense of direction and position of the ocean that got me where I was going. A few typical man-style wrong turns along the way and an innate reluctance to ask for directions probably cost me a liter or two of petrol, but it's not the destination, it's the journey (so "they" say...whoever "they" are).

BLO-KARTS
I parked at the eastern end of the Kapiti Reserve and walked north. There were quite a few kite surfers having a go of it, along with several people on what are called "blo-karts" which is basically a little dune-buggy with a sail attached to it. Waikanae is DEFINITELY the place for it considering how wide the beach is on a low tide. I spoke to a guy who was supervising his two kids on blo-karts and he told me they've been known to clock speeds of over 90km/h (55mph)! With speeds like that I asked if they came with brakes and he just smiled and said, "nah mate, ya just turn into the wind and loosen the sail." They're quite advanced really. They even come with little detachable side cars for putting your dog, cat, or significant other. They sell them at a local store in Porirua called Big Boys Toys. Even though it's categorized as a "toy," if you want one, it will set you back about $3000 NZD (~$2100 USD).

BLUE-BOTTLES (MINI PORTUGUESE MAN-O-WAR)
As I kept walking, I also noticed the presence of blue-bottle jellyfish washed up and scattered all over the beach. If you're not familiar with the blue-bottles, keep it that way. The big fat and frumpy jellyfish you see in the states are generally benign compared these things. The best short description is that it's a miniature Portuguese Man-of-War. Although they're blue in color, when they're floating out in the water, for some reason you just don't see them. They're not invisible, but just translucent enough to slip below the radar and give you a good sting before you even know what's hit you.

I was the unfortunate recipient of a blue-bottle sting while surfing Cave Rock just outside of Durban, South Africa back in 1999. I never even saw the thing. I was paddling back out after a catching a wave and was suddenly struck by the most painful burning sensation on my arm. My armpit glands started to swell so that worried me a bit. I knew about blue-bottles from my time in Australia, had heard all kinds of stories, but had somehow always successfully avoided them. I figured that's what it was, so I immediately got out of the water and ran to the house of a friend of the family where I was staying. She allowed me to soak my wounded paw in water as hot as I could handle which, eventually, did provide a dulling of the pain. The surf was actually very good on that day so I paddled back out for a few more waves, but cautiously neurotic thereafter.

The scary thing about blue-bottles is that the toxin secreted by their tentacles is about 75% as powerful as cobra venom. In severe cases, particularly those who experience an allergic reaction, it can send a victim into shock and interfere with the normal function of the heart and lungs. I wasn't particularly concerned that I was going to die, but it did leave a nasty red trail-like welt where the tentacle had wrapped around my arm.


Speaking of tentacles, they don't have to be attached to the blue-bottle to do their dirty work. In the case of a surfing beach, breaking waves rip the tentacles off the body and leave them haplessly floating, lying in wait for the next unfortunate soul to come along. I've heard cases of people accidentally ingesting them. Just as their mouths opened up, a wave washed in an errant tentacle causing a major reaction in the soft lining of the throat. In short, don't swallow blue-bottle tentacles...that would be bad.

LITTLE BIT OF SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN A WHOLE LOT OF NOTHING
Unfortunately, the spectacular weather we had packed its bags and made different arrangements. On the short drive home, our short-lived blue skies turned to dark gray clouds which quickly devolved to rain--warm rain, at least. But I'm not complaining: a little bit of something's better than a whole lot of nothing. Considering we've just come out of a week straight of winter-style weather, I feel good knowing I made the most of our noteworthy half-day of sun!

No comments: